New Dublin Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), founded in 1769, is the oldest Protestant church west of the Allegheny Mountains. We trace our history back to the earliest immigrants from Dublin, Ireland who began a community along the banks of the New River in the mid-1700s. Of the eight churches established by Rev. Craig in 1768-1769, only New Dublin remains today with its original name in its original location.
In 1773, Joseph Cloyd donated the land that remains the property of New Dublin. There is a widely held tradition that Cloyd gave this gift because the woman he was courting, Mary Gordon, would not consent to marry him unless he built a Presbyterian church! Regular services began in the first building around 1782.
A second sanctuary was built in the 1830s made out of brick by James Darst and William Guthrie. In 1837, the issue of slavery divided the Presbyterian Church in America and New Dublin joined the "New School" movement, which was opposed to slavery. During the winter of 1863-1864, the church served as a military hospital during the Great War.
A third sanctuary and church building was constructed in the 1870s. Today, this structure still stands upon the same foundation as the old church building. The church was enlarged in 1950 and again in 1969 with the addition of several classrooms. In 1995, the Fellowship Hall was substantially remodeled. The church, manse, and cemetery are currently listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
This information and much more about the history of New Dublin Presbyterian Church can be found in "A Brief History of New Dublin Presbyterian Church" by Joseph Guthrie.